Friday, January 22, 2010

Trying of your faith...

    Last night, Bro. Tony Howeth preached from Philippians 2:14, "Do all things without murmurings and disputings:" The message was stiring and convicting to me personally. I made a personal decision to be more aware of and attentive to my personal groanings, self-pity, and complaining.
    THEN TODAY... After waiting several days for the title to my car to get here, I proceeded to get a tag for it, so that I will be able to drive legally after the grace period of purchase. Once I arrived at the tag office, I was then told I needed an emission test before I could get a tag. (A new concept for a hick from Dalton.) So, remembering that I purposed that I would not complain, and that the verse in Philippians 2 said "DO ALL THINGS," I politely left and proceeded to get an emission test. After switching cars, and driving to the first auto shop I saw, I had the emission test done and much to my demise, I FAILED! Finding out more, that an "O2 sensor" will cost me $200 to pass the emission test, and allow me to get my car tag.
    I think of these events that take place the day after a message where I make a decision not to murmur, and I can't help but think of James 1:3, "Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." Then as I continue to think of how well this verse applies for me today; I am overwhelmed by Holy Spirit conviction in thinking that the trails and tribulations and sufferings of early Christians, and the early Church somehow compare to my car tag issue! How many times are we guilty of having circumstances merely inconvenience us, and claim that we are doing a great service to the Lord by not getting too upset?! If we would only consider what the New Testament Church considered the "trying of your faith..." , then we may not think so highly of ourselves when we conquer the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment